So a little about me...

I'm Jeff and I'm from Western Canada...the good part, Northern BC and Alberta. I'm just normal oilfield trash that got interested in blogging. Can't say I am the most prolific or timely, but if I have something to say I usually will...So anyway this is just a look through my eyes once in a while...I don't claim to be right, but I'll never be left.

Visit my you tube channel under username: CDNcatskinner

"Everyones' gotta be something
Me I'm stupid,
It's all I ever wanted to be,

Shock me again and I'll say,
Anything you want me to"

~Matthew Good Band, from the song Rico
Reach me by email: tachwell@telusplanet.net

Sunday, June 20, 2010

New Canadians


Just when I get discouraged about my lot in life, (not really much to complain about) I run into a situation that shows just how good some of us have it.


I was driving across Alberta to another job last night when I started to pick up radio chatter on Lad 4, for those that don't know the CB is virtually unused in Canada and most industrial endeavours use a VHF radio with assigned company channels. The Lad channels 1-4 are common frequencies that everyone has. Well these two brand new immigrant truck drivers were talking (I could tell by what sounded like an Eastern European and maybe an Asian accent) about their lives so far in Canada, What was amazing to me was they were speaking in newly acquired english and I don't even know one language :-)


These guys were working out of Edmonton, in high priced rented and probably illegal rooms with no close family. Through broken sentences and somewhat broken understanding they were passing on advice to each other about what they had learned so far. One guy wanted to bring his girlfriend from overseas but something went wrong and she had broken off the relationship. The other talked about his roomates and what it took to get along. I had to laugh when they started to discuss how to pick up Canadian girls from the bar or the poolhall.

No comments:

Post a Comment