So a little about me...

I'm Jeff and I'm from Western Canada...the good part, Northern BC and Alberta. I'm just normal oilfield trash that got interested in blogging. Can't say I am the most prolific or timely, but if I have something to say I usually will...So anyway this is just a look through my eyes once in a while...I don't claim to be right, but I'll never be left.

Visit my you tube channel under username: CDNcatskinner

"Everyones' gotta be something
Me I'm stupid,
It's all I ever wanted to be,

Shock me again and I'll say,
Anything you want me to"

~Matthew Good Band, from the song Rico
Reach me by email: tachwell@telusplanet.net

Friday, November 04, 2011

Finally, but is it good or bad?

Well I might get a break, I am hoping for a good month off. As soon as tomorrow I could be going back to BC and home. It will be oh I don't know how long since I had time off, I'm through counting days at this point. Many readers might say "Wah!, he wants time off". Big whoop right? Well my job isn't that simple to define. We go until the work is done, I don't get weekends off or do any kind of 9-5 day. There are no paid holidays, I am self employed. There is no employment insurance or "pogey" because I can't collect it. There is no pension plan, unless I create my own (more on that later), not really any sick days either. I will have to look back in my journal, but I can't say that I have had more than 3-4 weeks this year where I can say I did not work, and of those days, a few were rain-outs and I had to stick around because we worked the next day. I don't live where I work, that would be impossible, I work in so many different areas of Alberta and British Columbia. When I used to work for another oil company I had almost 12 years where all the jobs were within 3hrs of my door (If a hypothetical speed of 90mph was maintained).  I haven't gone anywhere or taken a vacation since 2002. Its been a tough slog, this last year especially. It has been worth it though...

I'm excited again. With the recent dip in silver prices I bought some more. (Remember that pension plan I don't get?) At this point something is better than nothing. I don't really care what the price does, I am hoping that it accrues more value, and if what I am reading and seeing about the world financial system is any indication, my bet is not in vain. I will always have precious metals. In the above photo from left to right is: 1oz Silver Cougar, 1oz Silver Maple, 1oz Silver Grizzly and making it's debut appearance is a special edition "five nines" 1oz Gold Mountie, the first gold ounce I have ever purchased.
From what I hear one of the worst things I could do is become a "Silver Bug" and love the coins I have so much that I don't sell when the time is right. I might be one now....pictured above is a 1 oz Andean Cat in .99999 silver. It is just so beautiful don't you think? I bought 10, and I bought 10 Blue Throated Macaws produced by the same mint. They won't be here for two months...I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment