So a little about me...

I'm Jeff and I'm from Western Canada...the good part, Northern BC and Alberta. I'm just normal oilfield trash that got interested in blogging. Can't say I am the most prolific or timely, but if I have something to say I usually will...So anyway this is just a look through my eyes once in a while...I don't claim to be right, but I'll never be left.

Visit my you tube channel under username: CDNcatskinner

"Everyones' gotta be something
Me I'm stupid,
It's all I ever wanted to be,

Shock me again and I'll say,
Anything you want me to"

~Matthew Good Band, from the song Rico
Reach me by email: tachwell@telusplanet.net

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Catskinner comes to life...

I don't know what I can say about the weather that doesn't make me sound like a broken record...and we did break some records. The rain has been unbelievable in June and July. Work a day and a half, shut down for three.
The Strathcona job finished drilling and I was asked by a manager to dry the site out then be on-hand for the rig move. Oh goddammit! I don't want anything to do with rig movers other than  floating around to take pictures of their cool trucks. Rig moves are dangerous, the last thing I want to be is the guy that the hammer falls on when an incident occurs. Thankfully it went well...except for one thing: We knew the truck pictured above might need some help around a few corners. As it turned out the bed truck that could have done the pulling was behind and had no way to get in front on the narrow road. The truck push comes up and asks if the dozer could be out front, I said yes but that I would prefer that he did not go past the gate. About an hour later I got a call from the contractor manager and he is quite IRATE. The point of the phone call is to find out if I sent the dozer out onto the county gravel. I said I never but I'm behind the rig and can't see what they have done. Turns out the truck push did walk the cat over the texas gate and out onto the county road. Apparently the county has informed the contractor that they are now looking at a $20,000 fine for having a track machine on one of their roads. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! I know how they found out: Our resident landowner (remember ol' greedy gopher guts from a previous post?) Had to be him. He called the county and like the rat he is ratted on us. I'm mad. The contractor is mad...the truck push is in shit. Everything turned out OK in the end. I had to get a grader out pronto to fix 10m of barely visible tracks.

I got 2 days off once things calmed down to just one rained out job (that is 2 weeks behind schedule and 26 days long so far). I went home, that was nice but way too short. I had one thing to arrange before I went: I have had a young friend on youtube that has wanted to meet up with me for a few years now. Turns out that another friend of his that I also know from youtube was out visiting him from Newfoundland. They would be in Grande Prairie when I come through so I texted him and set up lunch. It was nice meeting Nigel and Tyler they are equipment fanatics just like me so we had lots to talk about...check out their youtube channels:

http://www.youtube.com/user/heavyhauler16
http://www.youtube.com/user/WesternStar4900SA

Another eventful thing worth mentioning is forgetting my laptop when I came back to work, oh well I hated the long drive back, but I got to spend another day with PG and the kids. ;-)

I have this idea that I am trying to flesh out...youtube has offered me a "store" button on my catskinner channel. I thought why not, if the product is good and people want to wear it or drink from it...why not have some fun branding the name and a character, it'll be an adventure and a new hobby for me. Got to warn you though, the things I find funny usually fall on the side of vulgarity and very poor taste. I expect nothing less and if the ideas I have down on paper so far are any indication....

No comments:

Post a Comment